Monday, September 8, 2008

Marbles


Well, I am hooked. I made a marble the day before the isgb gathering. I wanted to do something new and special for the gathering to show off. Well, I did make a marble, not the super one I was intending. This one broke off the punty 3 times (once almost in the water bowl). The last time, it broke off, fell to the wooden floor, and rolled....and rolled. flames were coming up behind it, burning the oil off the the hard wood, as well as the dust.. the marble finally settled, burning a nice spot in the floor. I finally was able to scoop it up into the marble mold and toss it into the kiln. The next day, I pulled it out of the kiln, and it wasn't too bad, but then again, not too pretty. I showed it to Jennifer Wilson and she told me I should enter the 'World Flame Off" in Tucson Sept 5,6 and 7. I did...... ....... ....... I was so nervous. I practiced 7 more times, each one a little bit better. I was learning every step of the way. I still have a lot to learn, and a lot of practice needs to happen. My day for the flame off was Sat. at 10:00 am. I was sitting low into the torch, my eyes were focused, I forgot to drink water, but it didn't matter.... i was one with the glass... If I drank water, I would crack. I did not drop the marble (much to Dougies dismay), and I put it in the kiln with about 30 sec. of time left.


When I get a picture of this marble I will post it, but in the mean time, above is an image of my very first marble .
Oh, and the 'WORLD FLAME OFF'... I won 1st. place in the soft glass marble category. I am so was hooked on marbles.

No comments:

Post a Comment